This was a fun little FX RnD done over 4 Nights after work. Last week I was re-watching 300 Rise Of An Empire and seeing the awesome blood sims done by Scanline and MPC, aswell as the awesome blood fluid sims in TheWalkingDead I came up with this FX RnD.
The first stage was the actual head destruction, This was done by getting a head asset from Turbo squid, I used mParticles/Box#2 in 3DS Max for the destruction, I created a proxy of the head and brain using RayFire Voxels, these were then sim'd using mParticles to break apart on collsion from the saw. They were glue'd using mPGlue. with Distance Binding and breakable by max force. The Brain was also sim'd using this setup, the brain model was just a Deformed Sphere using a cellular displacement map to create the bumps/veins on it. With the sims I did look into using some drag, but I really wanted to keep the tearing feel you get with mParticles.
Voxelised Head and Brain mParticles Sim
Using glue, plus extra deflectors, to joint the glue to.
The mParticles Brain and Head sims were cached using the Cache Data Operator, and then re skinned to there original high res (Non voxelised) assets. Particle skinner would usally crash my Max around 5-20 times a night! I could have added more detail/debris to the head destruction like eye balls and teeth etc! Maybe next time!
Glue Bindings test with Skinned Particles
Final Skinned Brain and Head.
The Original plan was to cache with Alembic and Export the Voxels to RealFlow and use them as the proxy collsions in there, however the latest build of Crate I am using right now is really buggy, so I ended up using now interaction, but just exporting the head's start pos as reference, to Realflow.. To make sure the blood was behaving the same speed/directions as the skinned head, I got playblasts from RealFlow and max, and compared them on every major sim.
The Setup in RealFlow was using the Standard SPH Emitters, theres two blood emitters, one with lower viscosity/density to create the nice blood burst, and a second with higher density and viscosity to create the more heavy blood, like you see the tendril of blood hit the ground. I setup some Noise Fields to actually drive the blood sims through there velocity rather than just be forces. Noise + Gravity and Direction Gravity was they key to getting the blood tendrilling nicely, like the blood in 300. There was stickyness on the back wall/ground aswell as KSpeed that would slow all the particles down if they were in an area near the back wall/ground with some falloff. I didnt use any attractors, just each emitter had its own gravity (Y Gravity) aswell as having directional gravity to drive the velocity, there were two noise fields for the emitters mainly to get the blast/stringy look from the blood on emission.
RealFlow And Head Destruction Sims- Previews
The meshing was done with Particle Legacy meshing and some relaxation filter to get rid of the metaball look and get more realistic tendrilly/web like mesh.
The Rendering was done in V-Ray with V-Ray 3's Progressive renderer which is awesome, I like to render my FX Tests rather than just showing play blasts. The blood shader was quite good fun, blood needs to be really dark and a bit desaturated, if you look at some of the 300 work, especially the scanline shots you see the blood is nearly black. The Head was using VRay's Fast SSS2 Skin shader and the brain was using a basic shader with displacement on for more surface details which you dont see in the end as its covered in blood! The Brain debris used this same shader. As this was just FX RnD, everything was rendered in one beauty pass. With some basic AE Comping.
V-Ray Render WIP